King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard // Polygondwanaland

Categories:  Music    Music Reviews
Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 at 12:30 PM
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard // Polygondwanaland by Aaron Mook

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Polygondwanaland

Self-Released 

4/5 stars

Polygondwanaland is the fourth album released by Australian psych-rock giants King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard this year, and with only December left, the band has plans for one more release. But if ambition is only 25 percent of what makes the outfit living legends, the other 75 percent is execution. Each release from the band has built upon their last, referencing lyrical motifs and riffs that consistently shift shape. Polygondwanaland is pure Dungeons & Dragons rock, but you don’t need to be a Tolkien fan to appreciate this technical powerhouse. Albums in-between have explored ambitious concepts and jazzy side-streets, but Polygondwanaland plays most like a spiritual successor to 2016’s Nonagon Infinity and this year’s Flying Microtonal Banana, marrying extended psychedelic freakouts with acoustic (or muted electric) arrangements and hushed vocals. Opener “Crumbling Castle” is an 11-minute monolith that rivals anything in the band’s catalog (particularly echoing FMB’s similarly lengthy opener “Rattlesnake”), while pulsating synth underlines tracks like “Loyalty,” delivering on the band’s prog-rock promise. Polygondwanaland isn’t just King Gizzard’s strongest release yet — it’s also one of the best (free) rock records of 2017.

— Aaron Mook

Erie Reader: Vol. 7, No. 25
Now Available — Pick It Up Today

CURRENT

Use this calendar to your “Advent”-age

A merry little inspiration for your local shopping needs

I loved nearly every scene of Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird.

Get out the door to see and hear what’s really happening at Scotty’s Lounge.

The latest Electroflux series will feature dRachEmUsiK alongside D.Minoza, greyscapes and Modular Moose.

IN THIS ISSUE

Use this calendar to your “Advent”-age

A merry little inspiration for your local shopping needs

I loved nearly every scene of Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird.

Get out the door to see and hear what’s really happening at Scotty’s Lounge.

The latest Electroflux series will feature dRachEmUsiK alongside D.Minoza, greyscapes and Modular Moose.

Dark, intense, and infinitely cool, Charlotte Gainsbourg’s Rest is captivating.

John Fetterman, a man for all cities, in push for Lieutenant Governor bid

 

Multiple outlets offer locally made shirt designs and more

Where next should we waste our billions of new gasoline tax revenue?

Justice League is nowhere near as bad as Batman v. Superman, but it’s not very good either.

2017 Best of Erie Voting Now Open! Vote Now!
Closing in
Click here to close now