Erie County Update, June 17, 2020
Six new cases of COVID-19 reported today with no new cases counts over ten reported since the weekend
Erie County Executive Kathy Dahlkemper reported six new positive cases of COVID-19 today at her weekly video conference. This brings our cumulative total to 478 positive cases since March 18. With 7,873 negatives, there have been an average of 155 tests per day in the last week. So far, there have been 317 recovered cases (74 last week), for a total of 152 current active cases. So far, there have been nine deaths of Erie County residents reported due to COVID-19.
The past four days have shown no severe spikes in new cases. The week's breakdown of new cases has been:
17 new cases on Friday and Saturday, eight on Sunday, nine on Monday, four on Tuesday, and six today.
Erie County's cumulative positive case total has more than doubled since May 27. By our math, there have been 151 new cases reported over the last 14 days, for a ratio of about 55 cases per 100,000 people in the last 14 days.
Erie County's latest breakdown by sex:
55% - Female
45% - Male
Breakdown by age group*:
3% - Age 4 or younger
1% - Age 5 - 9
6% - Age 10 - 18
14% - Age 19 - 24
44% - Age 25 - 49
22% - Age 50 - 64
10% - Age 65 or older
*Percentages may not equal 100% due to rounding.
Breakdown by race and ethnicity:
50% Caucasian/White (because of the NEDS classification within this category, this includes the Hispanic/Latinx population, comprising 11% of this portion, with 8% unknown)
Dahlkemper spoke to reports of Erie County Department of Health officials making undercover inspections to businesses and clarified that any actual officials would be wearing their county-issued photo identification, and (likely) an ECDH shirt.
Outside of Erie County's statistics, Pennsylvania, saw 335 additional positive cases reported today, for a total of 79,818 total cases, for a weekly average of 424 new cases per day. So far, there have been 6319 deaths statewide, with an average of nearly 37 deaths per day. 533,013 patients have tested negative to date, with an average of 9,383 tests cataloged per day.
Erie County's negative tests account for 1.6% of Pennsylvania's (a 0.1% increase since last week), while its population accounts for 2.15%.
Erie County's new cases have accounted for 2.3% of Pennsylvania's (a 0.1% decrease since last week). Erie County's positive cases account for 0.6% of the state's cumulative cases (for an increase of 0.7% this week).
There were minor changes in some of our nearby counties. Crawford County has 35 positive cases (up four this week), with still no deaths being reported. McKean County still has 13 cases and one death (no change this week). Venango County has 17 positive cases (up one this week) and no deaths. Warren County holds at five cases and no deaths (no change this week).
Ashtabula County's cumulative total is 392 positive cases (up 17 this week), with 72 hospitalized, and 41 deaths. Chautauqua County has a cumulative total of 110 positive cases (up six this week) and seven deaths.