Morgan Seeks to Build on Progress in 2nd Term as Millcreek Township Supervisor
Incumbent's first term highlighted by Embrace Millcreek Comprehensive Plan
During his campaign announcement at the Colony Pub and Grille, Millcreek Township Supervisor John Morgan painted himself as the non-traditional politician, one who does not bend over to grease every squeaky wheel he comes across, one who will say what needs to be said over what people want to hear. He characterized himself as a man of action, evidenced by the Embrace Millcreek Comprehensive Plan he has shepherded during his five years in office.
Morgan, now 38, was elected in 2015 after selling the electorate as a fresh young voice with a commitment to public service and community engagement. The centerpiece was the Embrace Millcreek Plan, which gathered the input of 2,000 Millcreekers to establish a vision for the community and implementable goals. Recommendations ranged from bolstering basic services to "taking big swings at big projects." The direct results of that were the incorporation of the township's first Planning and Development Office and a doubling down on code enforcement efforts.
"Through implementing Embrace Millcreek, we've made township government more effective and efficient while nearly doubling neighborhood repaving and proactively pushing back against blight…" Morgan recapped.
During Morgan's first term as supervisor, the township has secured over $5 million in federal and state funds toward repaving, sidewalk improvement, and zoning code reform. A portion of that money was also allocated to a revamp of the "Gateway to Presque Isle" along Peninsula Drive, with upgraded safety, access, and aesthetic features.
The incumbent Morgan will now face challenger Kim Clear in May's Democratic primary.
- McDowell Senior High graduate
- Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, California University of Pennsylvania
- Husband and father
- Chair of Salvation Army Local Advisory Committee
- Certified municipal planner
- Previous experience with the Erie Metropolitan Planning Organization (Erie MPO) and Erie County Planning Department
- Millcreek Township Supervisor since 2016
- Oversees the township's Department of Administration and Department of Planning and Development
- Liaison to the Planning Commission and Zoning Hearing Board
- Alternative representative to Erie MPO Technical Advisory Committee
- Representative to Erie MPO Coordinating Committee