Erie Definitely Worse for the Wear on National Ugly Sweater Day
Awesomely bad holiday fashion to be celebrated throughout the week
Religion. Politics. Whether or not pineapple goes on pizza. In our increasingly divided society, it has become tougher and tougher to find a common thread. Perhaps it's time to ask ourselves whether our priorities are askance, whether our approach is bogus. Maybe it's time to take a good hard look in the mirror and say, "I really wish I was uglier."
National Ugly Sweater Day — celebrated annually on the third Friday of December — is less about finding a common thread than it is about reclaiming the fraying fibers of your individuality. It's about being unabashedly and unashamedly you — and if that includes garish strands of Christmas lights and cotton swab snowballs swathed around your person, so be it. According to the official website: "National Ugly Sweater Day is a day of lighthearted fun and a day to be yourself and not that buttoned-up corporate version of yourself you've grown to despise."
In Erie, the timing and specifics of National Ugly Sweater Day are a little more elastic, with events stretching over the course of an entire week. Considering how tightly wound schedules tend to be this close to the holidays, you're certain to appreciate this more breathable blend.
Tuesday, Dec. 14
Erie County Library - Iroquois Avenue Branch, Lincoln Community Center
No ugly sweater to wear over the weekend? Make your own at either the Iroquois Avenue Branch or Lincoln Community Center libraries on Tuesday afternoon. Registration is required.
Friday, Dec. 17
Observe National Ugly Sweater Day proper with equal measures of both tact and tackiness. Prizes for the worst-dressed.
- 5 p.m. Luminary Distillery — Luminary's Merry and Lit, featuring music from Seann Clark and Friends. // facebook.com/events
- 7 to 11 p.m. Altered State Distillery — The Ugly Sweater Party at Altered State with music from Doug Phillips Acoustic. // facebook.com/events
- 9 p.m. The Waterford Hotel — The Waterford Hotel's The 6th Annual Ugly Christmas Party // facebook.com/events
Saturday, Dec. 18
A day late, but not a lamb's hair short with a goat-load of ugly sweater parties well into the night.
- Noon to 10 p.m. Nostrovia Brewing Company — Dress hideously enough at Nostrovia's Ugly Sweater Party and they may pity you enough to take a $1 off your next draft. // facebook.com/events
- 6 to 8 p.m. Black Monk Brewery — You'll receive no pity at the Black Monk's Ugly Sweater Party, but you could receive a piping hot panini with cash or credit, courtesy of the Hot Off the Press food truck. // facebook.com/events
- 7 to 10 p.m. Molly Brannigan's — Fashion choices of questionable taste will be tastefully accompanied by the Rooftop Project Band at Molly Brannigan's Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. // facebook.com/events
- 8 p.m. Dramashop/Online — The late night talk/variety show Live from Dramashop with Zach Flock presents its "Ugly Sweater Party" edition, featuring special guests Kate and Patrick Thiem. The episode will stream live on both Facebook and YouTube, while welcoming a limited in-house audience. // facebook.com/events
We don't know about you, but we're itching to see what's out there.
Matt Swanseger can be reached at email@example.com